Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Psalm 2:7 - Today I Have Become Your Father

Many use a translation similar to the World English Bible which says about the Messiah: "You are my Son, today I have become your father." (Hebrews 5:5)  The questions may be asked: Why does it say that? Was not Jesus God's Son before his resurrection?

Answer: Many translations render this similar to the World English version.\

Psalm 2:7
I will tell of the decree. Yahweh said to me, "You are my son. Today I have become your father.

Acts 13:33
that God has fulfilled the same to us, their children, in that he raised up Jesus. As it is also written in the second psalm, 'You are my Son. Today I have become your father.'

This renders the word for begotten as "become your father". In doing so, this would leave the false impression that Jehovah (Yahweh) did not become the father of Jesus until Jesus was raised from the dead. 

The American Standard Version reads:

Psalm 2:7
I will tell of the decree: Jehovah said unto me, Thou art my son; This day have I begotten thee."

And Young's Literal reads:

I declare concerning a statute: Jehovah said unto me, `My Son Thou [art], I to-day have brought thee forth."

Many trinitarians, based on the idea that this is speaking of God actually becoming the Father of Jesus, have imagined and assumed that this is speaking of an "eternal today" or a "today in eternity," outside of time, etc. The reality is that no scripture presents such an idea, and the concept has to be created beyond what is written, not to harmonize scripture with scripture, but to harmonize scripture with man's doctrine. We have discussed this idea in our study: Does This (Psalm 2:7) Speak of an Eternal Today?

Acts 13:32 And we declare to you glad tidings–that promise which was made to the fathers. God has fulfilled this for us their children, in that He has raised up Jesus. As it is also written in the second Psalm: ‘You are My Son, Today I have begotten You. -- New King James Version.

The correct thought is not that Jehovah was not the Father of Jesus before that day, but that on that day, Jehovah brought Jesus forth out of the death condition -- the firstborn of the dead (the first to be brought forth from the death, never to die again).

One may wish to see our studies related to "Firstborn".

No comments:

Post a Comment