Saturday, September 11, 2021

John 10:28 - No One Can Snatch the Sheep From the Hand of Jesus

Isaiah 43:13 - Yea, since the day was I am he; and there is none that can deliver out of my hand: I will work, and who can hinder it? -- American Standard Version.

John 10:28 - and I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, and no one shall snatch them out of my hand.  -- American Standard Version.

These two verses are sometimes put together and offered as proof that Jesus is Jehovah. Evidently, since it is Jehovah, the God of Jesus (Micah 5:4), who is speaking in Isaiah 43:13, what is being imagined and assumed is that Jesus, by his words recorded in John 10:28, was declaring himself to be Jehovah of Isaiah 43:13. 

Such evidently overlook the fact that it is the God of Jesus who has given the sheep to Jesus, and it is the God and Father of Jesus (Micah 5:4; Ephesians 1:3) who has given to Jesus the authority to judge and thus to give life. (Ezekiel 34:2-24; John 5:19,21-23,27-29; 10:11-17,29) Thus, in verse 29, Jesus, in effect, acknowledges that no one can snatch the sheep from his hand, because of his God and Father, who is greater than all. "My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all. No one is able to snatch them out of my Father's hand." Who is the Father of Jesus except He who is the God of Jesus? -- Micah 5:4; Ephesians 5:4.

One can find many scriptures in the Old Testament where Jehovah speaks of himself as doing this or that, and yet the actual fulfillment is performed by others than Jehovah. For instance, Jehovah appeared to Moses and said: "I have come down to deliver them  [the children of Israel] out of the hand of the Egyptians, and to bring them up out of that land. (Exodus 3:8) And a few verses later, Jehovah spoke to Moses: "I will send you to Pharaoh, that you may bring forth my people, the children of Israel, out of Egypt." (Exodus 3:10) Did Moses become Jehovah because of this?

See also the study:
"The One Shepherd"
https://jesusnotyhwh.blogspot.com/2016/11/good-shepherd.html

No comments:

Post a Comment